Nicaraguan Trip FAQ
July 9-16, 2013
Thanks for your interest to travel to Nicaragua to serve those in need! This sheet is to help some preliminary questions before making the decision to travel with a delegation to Nicaragua.
Do I need a passport? If so what does it cost and how do I get it?
· Yes and it can take up to 4 months to get it so the sooner you can get it the better.
· The cost is $135.00 for first time travelers.
· You can apply for it online at http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html or go to your local post office during their specified hours.
Do I need a visa?
· Yes but you get it upon entering into Nicaragua through customs at the airport. The cost is US$10.00.
Do I need to get vaccinations to travel to Nicaragua?
· There are several vaccinations suggested to travel out of the country but they are different for every country. Consult with your personal physician.
How much does it cost to travel to Nicaragua?
· “Approximate” costs range from $1,100 - $1,500 depending on plane ticket prices, hotel costs, food, etc. and a breakdown is below:
o Plane tickets approximately range from $450 to $650 per person
o $10 per person for the visa upon entering Nicaragua
o Hotel stay typically range from $150 to $250 per person for the week depending if you share a room or have a single
o Food, transportation, & water for the week approximately $200 per person
o Spending money can vary from person to person but $100 - $200 should be sufficient
o Luggage fees $40 if you take more than one checked bag
How many bags can I take with me with an economy ticket?
· You can take one personal item and one carry-on with you on the plane at no charge
· You can check one bag at no charge (maximum of 50 lbs.).
· Second checked bag costs $40.00 each and may go up from there.
· Maximum of 5 checked bags allowed per passenger
· Baggage information varies per airline
Do I need to exchange money before going on the trip?
· No we can exchange the money at a local bank from US dollars to Códobas when we arrive. The exchange rate currently is US$1.00 = C$23.80.
How old do I need to be to travel?
· Anyone younger than 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Where do we stay while in Nicaragua?
· We stay at a hotel called La Posada will in Boaco. Website: http://www.posadaelbailante.com/
· On the night before we leave to come back home to the USA we stay at Best Western Las Mercedes in Managua. Website: http://www.lasmercedes.com.ni/
How do we travel while in Nicaragua?
· The parish in Boaco arranges a bus for everyone to travel together from the airport to Boaco and while outside of city limits.
· Within city limits we walk to all locations. Boaco is located in the mountains and considered the city of two floors so it can be very tiring walking around. There are taxi’s to ride in but is an additional expense.
Is it safe in Boaco?
· Yes Boaco is very safe but we never allow anyone to go anywhere alone.
· We are in a 3rd world county so we must always be cautious at all times.
What is the climate like?
· During July it is the rainy season so it can get cooler in the evening as we are up in the mountains. During the day it can be humid but not any worse than what we are used to in Iowa.
Do I need to be concerned about the water and food?
· While in Nicaragua we arrange to drink purified the entire time which is available for everyone. We also have the cooks clean all food with purified water as well.
· Everyone’s stomach is different and can react to food prepared in Nicaragua in different ways. If you think you will have problems please consult with your personal physician for a prescription of Syperal.
Will my cell phone work in Nicaragua and can I be in contact with family back home?
· Contact your cell phone company about this but usually not.
· There are several ways for family to contact us while in Nicaragua and there are several internet cafes to communicate back home.
Do I need specific skills to travel?
· No special skills required to travel to Nicaragua.